The Final Four Teams are set to decide who is going to win the Pacific West Rugby Conference
San Jose, CA April 9th, 2014: The final four teams are set for the showdown at Stanford's Strueber Stadium this weekend, April 12th and the 13th. The winner will be named Pacific West Rugby Conference Champion and will win the right to go and compete in USA Rugby 15’s National Championship Competition.
- Stanford University Cardinal Stanford went undefeated in the regular season earning the right to host the Conference semi-finals and final. Matt Sherman Head Coach of the Stanford Cardinal did an excellent job of turning the program around from a year ago. Stanford’s attacking offensive and kicking for territory has paid off nicely.
- Chico State University Wildcats Chico State went on this season with only one lost this year. As defending champions, they are poised to repeat. They did loose some key senior members from last year’s championship run but still have enough great players to repeat. They will look keen to do so.
- University of Nevada, Reno Wolf Pack UNR had some very close matches this season and pulled some of them off. They were ranked fifth going into the first round of the Conference tournament and pulled out tremendous victory on the road against the fourth ranked team University of California, Santa Cruz.
- San Jose State Spartans The Spartans had an up and down season. After being the reigning Pacific West 7’s Champions, the 15’s season did not go all the great with numerous injuries. Being 6th ranked in the conference their chances to reach the semi-finals was a far stretch knowing that they would have to face the third ranked team Fresno State in Fresno. With solid defense, the Spartans held on for the upset to move on.
The schedule for this weekend’s competition is the following.
(1) Stanford will play (4) San Jose State @ 1PM
(2) Chico State will play (3) University of Nevada, Reno @ 3:30PM
For more information visit the Pacific West Rugby Conference website www.pacwestrugby.com
Join the Facebook event here, www.facebook.com/events/555394337910682/